Visit our news and resources pages for COVID-19 updates

Trump sets aside $138M for Charleston Harbor deepening project

The Post and Courier
David Wren
March 13, 2019

President Donald Trump included $138 million in his budget for the coming year to help deepen Charleston Harbor to 52 feet so it can handle heavier container ships.

The project, in the works since 2011, had never been included in a president’s budget until now. The U.S. Army Corps last year revised a formula that measures the project’s economic benefit, putting it above the threshold needed for consideration.

“This allows us to stay on schedule with the deepening,” the federal agency’s Charleston office said on Facebook.

Dredging started a year ago and the State Ports Authority, which owns and operates the Port of Charleston, has said it hopes to finish by the time a new container terminal opens in North Charleston in late 2021.

Read the full story, HERE.

Back To The Top